I adapted this recipe from the book Organic Body Care Recipes by Stephanie Tourles, substituting arrowroot for corn starch and adding zeolite powder. I can’t say enough about this powder! The thyme and rosemary have wonderful antimicrobial properties, and the baking soda helps contain the body odor. It offers a nice “earthy” scent easily appreciated by both men and women.
Homemade Deodorant Powder
- 1 1/2 c. arrowroot (an edible starch derived from the roots of the West Indian plant known as arrowroot)
- 1 c. baking soda
- 1/4 c. thyme, finely powdered
- 1/4 c. calcium bentonite clay
- 1 tbsp. zeolite powder
- 100 drops rosemary essential oil
- 50 drops thyme essential oil
Combine all but the essential oils in food processor or large bowl. Whisk by hand or blend in food processor for 15 seconds. Slowly add essential oils to 7 tablespoons of the powder mix by using mortar and pestle. Add oil mixture to remaining powder and whirl in food processor for 15 seconds. Allow the mixture to sit for 3 days to allow the oils to permeate the powder. Place in small jar or shaker jar for individual use.