It was Saturday October 4, 2008. Chris arrived home at 8:30 p.m after a long flight from Chicago.
I was standing in the driveway ready to vacate our home. It had become clear that our home would never be safe for us. After two mold remediations, it was time to start over. (Read about Chris’ perspective in the post “My Wife is Crazy.”)
I had only my purse and the clothes on my back. I had taken the kids to various friends’ homes.
“Treat the home like it was on fire,” the toxicologist advised us.
Chris decided to change out of his suit. He went upstairs and laid the suit on our new leather chair.
The suit stayed in the chair, and the shoes remained on the floor until they were tossed 19 months later. (We sold our home for the cost of our loan to avoid foreclosure. Everything was dumped. See the article “Why the Dumpsters?“)
Six months after leaving the home, our daughter toured the vacated home with our legal team. (See more about our failed legal action in Chris’s post “It Isn’t Fair.”)
It was a haunting tour for Shannon (pictured above), as captured in this photo tour:
- 65Because of the confusion surrounding the issue of toxic mold, it is difficult to obtain knowledgeable and reliable legal assistance. As yet, there is no official federal “mold law,” which creates obstacles when trying to recoup losses. This is changing, however, as awareness grows. Toxic Mold and the Law When…
- 64I am the wife of Chris and mom to 9 children. I like to think outside the box and encourage others to do the same. I have an incessant curiosity about environmental health, one of the many outcomes of our family's encounter with toxic mold. (Read more here.) I am certified…
- 59One of the outcomes of a toxic mold exposure is vigilance when selecting a home or traveling. One family all too familiar with the hazards of water damage used their recent travel experience to educate State Park officials by submitting the following letter. Dear State Parks Office: We have enjoyed…