Wondering which type of winter squash is best for desserts or muffins? Or are you looking for one most suited to a vegetable dish flavored with herbs and butter?
Here are the results of our family’s recent taste test that included four participants. (2 adults, two children.)
Winter Squash Comparison
- Gold Acorn (least popular in terms of natural flavor.)
- Golden Nugget (described by one of the participants as “earthy,” with another comparing it to potatoes.)
- Butternut (same as above with one participant commenting on the nice flavor.)
- Delicata (one member selected this variety as sweetest, with all four commenting favorably on the taste.)
- Buttercup (three votes as the sweetest, with all commenting on the appealing texture.)
Looking for ways to use fresh squash?
My favorite is to dehydrate it into Squash Leather. Grab the recipe here.