Hair loss (alopecia) is common to both men and women. Causes may include hereditary factors, hormonal changes, infection, toxic exposures, cancer treatment, malnourishment, and even hair treatments.
Some hair loss is normal. On average we lose between 50 and 100 hairs a day. The good news is there is lots that can be done to stimulate healthy hair growth.
Five Ways to Stimulate Hair Growth
1. Avoid chemicals in hair care products, especially hair dyes. Look for natural alternatives.
2. Reduce your intake of processed and sugar-laden foods. Add nutrient-rich foods to your diet to promote the growth of healthy hair.
3. Avoid pulling, twisting, or rubbing your hair.
4. Create herbal infusions. Many herbs stimulate hair growth including,
Combine 2 tbsp. of each of the above herbs in a glass jar. (Feel free to use what you have on hand.) Add 2 c. boiling water and allow to infuse for 2-3 hours. Strain into glass container. Allow to cool. Shampoo and rinse hair. Pour warm infusion into hair. Massage into scalp. Towel dry (do not rinse). Style as usual.
5. Massage your scalp on a regular basis.
According to the book Organic Body Care Recipes by Stephanie Tourles:
The scalp, like your toes and fingers, is one of the hardest places on your body for blood to reach. A daily scalp massage is not merely an indulgence, but an important beauty ritual.
Formulate your own massage blend by combining one or all of the following essential oils with jojoba oil:
- 40 drops rosemary essential oil
- 25 drops basil essential oil
- 20 drops lemon essential oil
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 15 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
Combine essential oils with 1/2 c. jojoba oil. Place in bottle and shake vigorously. Place 2 tsp. of blend in bowl. Dip fingertips into mixture and massage your scalp for 3-5 minutes. Leave on overnight if desired and lightly shampoo the next morning.
Have you found something that works for you when it comes to hair growth?