Colin has been living with type 1 diabetes for more than 7 years. He loves finding creative ways to enjoy food!
Colin’s Avocado Ice Cream Cake
Since I began the long, arduous, but VERY satisfying journey of the road of health, many people have queried as to what it is that I enjoy eating. To this question, I state this: there are MANY things I enjoy eating, and there are also many that I grimaced at. But as to the former, I greatly enjoy well-made stir-fries and other such things that involve a knife, cutting board, vegetables and an experienced cook. However, I also LOVE my treats. Homemade ice cream is by far my FAVORITE treat, but I also love avocado ice cream and almond flour cake. This recipe combines the latter two!
This recipe combines my love for cake with my appreciation for avocados and their perfect texture for frosting.
- 2 cups almonds (soaked and dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- stevia to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup raw cacao
- stevia to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine almonds, baking soda, eggs and stevia in a food processor.
- Process until batter-like.
- Place in well-oiled glass baking dish. (8 X 8 works well for this recipe.)
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- While crust is baking prepare frosting.
- Combine and process avocados, cacao powder and stevia. I use a stick blender.
- Blend until it's like frosting.
- Remove crust from oven and allow to cool.
- Apply frosting when crust cools to room temperature.
- Garnish with coconut flakes, strawberries or anything else your imagination comes up with.
- Place in freezer for a while (typically 2-4 hours) and then...yum yum!!!!
- 47Our family's favorite kitchen tool right now is our Whip-it Gourmet Cream Whipper. If possible, we use raw cream. Our second choice is pasteurized organic cream fermented for several hours. For those who tolerate dairy, there's nothing like fresh whipped cream with a little sweetener! Brandon has become a pro…
- 40This is one of the simplest ways to make homemade ice cream. Coconut cream combines with any number of desired flavors to make a crowd-pleasing dessert. This version blends the flavors of vanilla and coffee for a nice latte flavor. [mpprecipe-recipe:59] *Coconut cream can be obtained by refrigerating coconut milk.…
I love the sound of this cake! I will try the flax seeds and water combo as an egg replacement. I hope it will work!
Andrea Fabry says
If you get a chance, I’d love to hear, Anna!
Wow! This sounds and looks amazing. Can’t wait to try it. Pinning 🙂