Strawberry Creamshake – By Kids For Kids

Kaitlyn sings, plays the guitar, writes songs and enjoys coming up with healthy alternatives to conventional foods.

strawberry

Sugar-free Strawberry Frappuccino

I used to love Starbucks Frappuccinos, so this recipe has been a huge success!
Author:
Ingredients
  • 2 cups *cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 tablespoons xylitol (stevia may be substituted - less is more)
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries (partially thawed for easier blending)
Instructions
  1. Let frozen strawberries sit out while you complete the rest of the steps.
  2. Combine cream, vanilla and sweetener in bowl.
  3. Whip until thick and creamy.
  4. Set aside some of the whipped cream mixture for topping.
  5. Pour remaining whipped cream mixture into blender.
  6. Add partially thawed strawberries.
  7. Blend.
  8. Pour into tall glass.
  9. Top with whipping cream.
  10. Drink to your heart's delight!

* Unpasteurized, raw cream is optimal. Next best is pasteurized organic.  (We like Straus.)  Ultra-pasteurized cream is best avoided due to the denaturing of the cream.

** Xylitol derived from birch is preferable. (We like Health Garden.)

This post shared at Savoring Saturdays.

Related Posts:

Comments

1. Anne Kristof says

Ok, I get it, “by kids for kids”. But somehow the use of xylitol for sweetening hardly makes this a “healthy” drink. Cream? Over 400 calories a cup, a good 390 of that is fat. The amount of sweetner needed to make a drink with that many strawberries in it wouldn’t be more than a couple of teaspoons one would think, and stevia might be a better alternative than xylitol. But the cream is the killer in this one. Sorry, it’s a no-go for my kids.

• Andrea Fabry says

Anne,
      We use only organic cream – preferably raw. We use Strauss if raw is unavailable. I support the premise that good healthy fat is essential for kids. I agree that trans fat and other denatured fats are harmful to kids. Xylitol derived from birch is natural and does not affect blood sugar the same way that sugar does. Some people prefer stevia as a sugar alternative. We use both. I appreciate your input.

• says

I wouldn’t hesitate to feed this to my child directly as the recipe is written. :) Cream is a healthy fat and I’m sure it still has less calories than a shake that most people would give their children with no hesitation. Thanks for sharing at Savoring Saturdays. I hope you join us again!

2. Ruth Lynn says

Thanks for the idea, Kaitlyn! We had mixed up some cream last night for strawberries and cream so I thought I would give your drink a try today at lunch. I kind of guessed at a quarter of a batch. I was glad I read the directions again because I almost put fresh berries in. The problem was that I had trouble mixing up the frozen berries. They just wouldn’t blend with the cream. It was as if they wanted pure liquid. I finally got them to mix good enough, but it took awhile. Do you have any trouble mixing it, or is it maybe just my “weak” blender? :O) And, by the way, my 18-year-old is “all in” with this one. I think he is off to get some fresh cream today and try some other varieties! He is ready to open a healthy sandwich/smoothie shop.

• Kaitlyn Fabry says

Thank you for pointing that out, Ruth! You’re right, that’s one thing I forgot to mention. When I use our Vita Mix, I have to use the stick-thing that comes with it to help blend it together because it is a little difficult. I would suggest letting the frozen strawberries sit out for at least 10 minutes. I might even give the fresh strawberries a try! That would definitely help the blending process be smoother.:)

3. says

To make this more compatible with our family’s diet, I would probably substitute in some organic unsweetened greek yogurt for most, if not all, of the cream, and use a few drops of vanilla stevia. You get the added bonus of probiotics that way as well as the ability to play with the fat ratio of your dairy.

-Sea