Whether you’re new to real food cooking or a veteran of scratch cooking you’ll love the simplicity and flavor of these clusters of flavor! Your family will love these Paleo-friendly, grain-free chocolate almond balls.
Chocolate Almond Balls
This was one of the first recipes I tried when learning to cook with real food. It continues to be a family favorite and offers lots of options for variation.
- 2 c. soaked and dehydrated raw almonds
- 3/4 c. raw cacao powder
- 8 pitted dates *
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 tbsp. filtered water (you may need more)
- 1 c. raw, unsweetened shredded coconut
- Grind almonds in food processor.
- Add all but shredded coconut.
- Blend well.
- Add enough water to make the mixture moist.
- Form in balls and roll in shredded coconut.
- Store in refrigerator until hardened.
- These can remain at room temperature for several hours, but are best stored in the fridge.
*I ferment dates before I incorporate them into a recipe. This is optional but reduces the sugar level of the fruit.
How to ferment dates:
Simply pack the pitted dates into a mason jar and cover with a mixture of 1/4 c. water kefir and filtered water, or 1/4 c. whey and filtered water. Add enough water to cover the dates. Place a cap on the jar and leave at room temperature for 2 days.
Strain the dates and dehydrate at a temperature of 110 degrees for several hours. The dates will be sticky enough to use in recipes, but with less sugar.
- 48Looking for real food desserts your family will love? Try this Gluten-free Devil's Food Cake for any birthday or holiday treat! Consider adding a whipped cream frosting or this Dairy-free, Sugar-free Frosting. Wondering which sweetener to choose? See 5 Sweetener Alternatives. Gluten-free Devil's Food Cake
- 45Looking for a healthier alternative to the ever-popular Keebler Fudge Stripes? Why not try this real food, gluten-free cookie recipe! Sixteen-year-old Kaitlyn offers this real food version! Gluten-Free Cacao Stripes [mpprecipe-recipe:116] These Cacao Stripes closely resemble the popular Caramel deLites Girl Scout Cookies. Make your caramel sauce and sprinkle some toasted…
- 45Blanched almond flour is the key to the success of these Paleo almond flour biscuits. Light and fluffy, these grain-free biscuits are sure to be a hit at your house! Ingredients: 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (ground almonds with skins removed) 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 3 tablespoons melted butter…
- 43These grain-free, gluten-free coconut flour biscuits go nicely with any meal. This recipe makes 4 large or 6 small biscuits. Feel free to double or even triple the recipe! Coconut Flour Biscuits Ingredients 1/3 cup coconut flour (higher altitudes may require more) 4 tablespoons melted butter or ghee (coconut oil…
Yummy looking! Thanks for including the instruction to ferment the dates.
Great idea! Never thought of fermenting dates and dehydrating them to lower the sugar content. You are brilliant Andrea!
Andrea Fabry says
Thanks, Julia. 🙂