Liposomal vitamin C is said to be more readily absorbed than conventional vitamin C tablets. Using an ultrasonic cleaner, vodka, lecithin and vitamin C powder you can make your own!
What is Liposomal?
When you combine something like ascorbic acid powder with a phospholipid, a molecule is created that is similar to our cells, making it easy for these molecules to be absorbed into a cell.
Liposomes can be formed through a process known as sonication. Sonication utilizes sound energy to agitate particles, thus prompting the release of nutrients. It is most often used to clean jewelry, surgical instruments, and other items by loosening stuck particles. In this case, an ultrasonic cleaner is used to create liposomes.
Ultrasonic cleaners are readily available ranging in price from $25-$90. Amazon carries a wide variety of cleaners found here.
The ideal way to combine these ingredients is using an ultrasonic cleaner, ascorbic acid powder, lecithin granules and alcohol. A more precise recipe than the one below can be found here.
I use organic Camu Camu powder for this recipe. Camu Camu is a fruit with an exceptionally high amount of vitamin C. I find the powder tastes much like the Liposomal Vitamin C found online.
- Two tablespoons ascorbic acid powder. (I use Camu Camu powder. Sources here.)
- Two tablespoons vodka
- Six tablespoons soy or liquid sunflower lecithin or granules (One possible source of sunflower lecithin is My Sunflower Lecithin)
- Three cups distilled water (Divide into 2 cups and 1 cup.)
- Ultrasonic cleaner
1. Blend Lecithin with 2 cups distilled water. (If using granules they will need to soak a minimum of 2 hours, preferably overnight.
2. Stir vitamin C powder and vodka into 1 cup distilled water.
3. Pour lecithin mixture and powder mixture into a high-speed blender.
4. Blend thoroughly.
5. Pour into ultrasonic cleaner and blend for 10-30 minutes.The mixture should be somewhat thick with no lumps or separations.
6. Re-blend if mixture does not separate properly.
7. Pour into mason jars.
8. Store in refrigerator.
9. Take 1-2 tablespoons daily or as needed.
Concerned about soy lecithin? This article by Chris Kresser may help.
Disclaimer: I have not lab tested this recipe to know for sure the absorption rate or effectiveness. Using the alcohol recipe noted above may help this absorb even more. In the past we have done well with the LivOn brand of liposomal vitamin C. Most vitamin C powder is derived from corn. For this reason, I use a pure food form of vitamin C. While I can’t say it is as effective as store-bought liposomal vitamin C, I can say it has helped me on numerous occasions.