This simple dairy-free, sugar-free frosting combines coconut, palm shortening, and your favorite natural sweetener!
Dairy-Free, Sugar-free Frosting Recipe
This is my go-to recipe for any birthday or holiday decorating. The recipe is simple if you have coconut manna or coconut cream on hand. You’ll also need a high-quality palm shortening. (I like Tropical Traditions Palm Shortening.)
If you have canned coconut milk you can get the coconut cream by refrigerating the can overnight. Scoop out the cream in the morning. (The coconut cream by itself works well as a frosting, but I find the palm shortening enriches the texture.)
Blend 1 cup coconut cream with 1/4 cup palm shortening using a stand mixer or high powered blender.
If using the above method, your frosting is ready to use. If you don’t have coconut cream on hand. Try this method with coconut flakes:
1. Place 2 cups coconut flakes in food processor.
2. Blend till creamy. (Approximately 10 minutes.)
3. Add 1/4 cup palm shortening and sweetener. (I use liquid stevia. I don’t need much because the coconut cream is naturally sweetened.)
4. Blend thoroughly.
5. If you’re going for a thin icing effect you’re ready to spoon onto the dessert item. I do this for my Pumpkin Paleo Bundt Cake.
5. If you’re going for a thicker frosting, you’ll need to cool the icing before blending again. Place in refrigerator for 1/2 hour or so. (Or freeze for faster results – but watch it closely to avoid freezing.)
6. Blend again using your food processor or high powered blender. A stand mixer also works well.
7. Decorate and enjoy!