Your family will love these gluten-free Santa Berries (with dairy-free option). Combine pineapple pieces with sugar-free icing, cacao nibs and fresh strawberries for a festive holiday treat!
Gluten-free, Sugar-free Santa Berries
- 12 toothpicks
- 12 fresh strawberries
- 12 pieces canned or fresh pineapple *
- 24 cacao nibs
- Icing **
* It’s easy to reduce the sugar level in pineapple by fermenting it ahead of time:
Place bite-size pineapple pieces in a mason jar. Cover with filtered water, 1/4 c. whey, and a splash of lime juice. (You may also use water kefir or kombucha instead of the whey.) Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for 48 hours.
** You have lots of options when it comes to real food icing:
1. Fresh whipped cream sweetened with sweetener alternative.
2. Whipped coconut cream or whipped coconut cream and palm shortening. (See Dairy-free, Sugar-free Frosting.)
3. Whipped cream kefir and coconut cream.
Looking for sweetener suggestions? Check out 5 sweetener alternatives here.
Assembling the Santas:
Prepare icing. Set aside.
Cut strawberries in half, horizontally. Place icing on the cut side of both the top and bottom halves.
Sandwich a piece of pineapple between both parts of the strawberry and secure with a toothpick.
Add cacao nibs to the pineapple for eyes.
Using a piping bag or a spoon, apply the icing to create a beard and add trim on the hat.
Serve and enjoy!