Your family will love these gluten-free Santa Berries (with dairy-free option). Combine pineapple pieces with sugar-free icing, cacao nibs and fresh strawberries for a festive holiday treat!
Gluten-free, Sugar-free Santa Berries
- 12 toothpicks
- 12 fresh strawberries
- 12 pieces canned or fresh pineapple *
- 24 cacao nibs
- Icing **
* It’s easy to reduce the sugar level in pineapple by fermenting it ahead of time:
Place bite-size pineapple pieces in a mason jar. Cover with filtered water, 1/4 c. whey, and a splash of lime juice. (You may also use water kefir or kombucha instead of the whey.) Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for 48 hours.
** You have lots of options when it comes to real food icing:
1. Fresh whipped cream sweetened with sweetener alternative.
2. Whipped coconut cream or whipped coconut cream and palm shortening. (See Dairy-free, Sugar-free Frosting.)
3. Whipped cream kefir and coconut cream.
Looking for sweetener suggestions? Check out 5 sweetener alternatives here.
Assembling the Santas:
Prepare icing. Set aside.
Cut strawberries in half, horizontally. Place icing on the cut side of both the top and bottom halves.
Sandwich a piece of pineapple between both parts of the strawberry and secure with a toothpick.
Add cacao nibs to the pineapple for eyes.
Using a piping bag or a spoon, apply the icing to create a beard and add trim on the hat.
Serve and enjoy!
- 57This simple dairy-free, sugar-free frosting combines coconut, palm shortening, and your favorite natural sweetener! Dairy-Free, Sugar-free Frosting Recipe This is my go-to recipe for any birthday or holiday decorating. The recipe is simple if you have coconut manna or coconut cream on hand. You'll also need a high-quality palm shortening.…
- 44Enjoy this real food version of the popular Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! Skip the refined sugar and artificial ingredients and enjoy this natural Reese's Peanut Butter Cup alternative. I use almond butter for the filling, but for those who must avoid nuts, consider tahini (sesame seed butter) or sunflower butter.…
- 41Looking for real food desserts your family will love? Try this Gluten-free Devil's Food Cake for any birthday or holiday treat! Consider adding a whipped cream frosting or this Dairy-free, Sugar-free Frosting. Wondering which sweetener to choose? See 5 Sweetener Alternatives. Gluten-free Devil's Food Cake
- 37We bought a silicone waffle mold recently, and Brandon was the first to try it out. (The mold can be found on Amazon here.) Waffles make a fun breakfast or a special "breakfast for dinner" meal! Kid-Approved Gluten-free Waffles [mpprecipe-recipe:111] Concerned about chemicals leaching into your food with silicone? Me…
[…] It Takes Time has a great healthy holiday snack with their Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Santa Berries! […]