Coffee flour is a newer flour on the market with rich opportunities for use in baking. Not only is coffee flour gluten-free, it’s full of fiber and has more iron per gram than fresh spinach. My family loves this simple Paleo Coffee Cake with Coffee Flour.
Coffee flour does not taste like coffee. There is a roasted fruit aspect to the flavor or maybe even a hint of citrus. Coffee flour is made from the coffee fruit that surrounds the bean.
Coffee flour is dark and can be drying in a recipe. That’s why I add the 1-2 tablespoons of coffee. You can substitute almond milk or other milk if desired.
(If you don’t have coffee flour on hand, replace with more almond flour in the recipe.)
- 2 tablespoons sweetener
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coffee flour
- 2 2/3 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup coffee flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sweetener or equivalent
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup yogurt (I use plain almond yogurt)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh coffee
- 1-2 tablespoons melted butter (to pour over cake after baking)
Optional: Frosting or glaze. I combine 4 tablespoons coconut cream with 1-2 tablespoons of coconut milk along with sweetener. (I use a hand blender to combine.)
- Combine cinnamon/sweetener ingredients in small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9×9-inch baking pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine softened butter, eggs, vanilla, yogurt, and coffee. Blend until thoroughly combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and combine thoroughly.
- Scoop half the batter into the baking pan and sprinkle with half of the cinnamon/sweetener mix.
- Scoop the remaining half of the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until done.
- After removing from the oven, pour the melted butter over the cake and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon/sweetener mix.
- After the cake has cooled, top with glaze or frosting if desired.
Looking for more great Paleo recipes? Athletic Muscle has a great list of 121 Paleo recipes here.