Ghee is butter with the milk solids removed. Ghee is one of the purest forms of butter, and because of its high smoke point, is perfect for cooking and ideal for those who are lactose intolerant.
- 1 pound organic butter (the equivalent of 4 sticks)
- Melt butter on medium heat.
- Allow to come to a slight boil and turn down to low setting.
- You will see a foam on top, and solids on the bottom. The ghee is the clear yellow in the middle.
- Continue to simmer while scraping off the foam. Keep allowing the solids to settle.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour through a strainer lined with cheesecloth. The solids will be collected in the cheesecloth. Alternately, you may simply pour into a glass jar and leave the solids at the bottom. You'll get more ghee by straining but the other method is acceptable.
- Homemade ghee has a long shelf life and is stable at room temperature. May be refrigerated.