Planning a vacation? Would you like to minimize your exposure to chemicals and/or mold while enjoying your hotel of choice?
10 Green Travel Trips
- Is your property smoke-free?
- Is your property pet-free? Do you offer rooms that are guaranteed pet-free?
- Do you use natural cleaning products? Would your cleaning service be willing to clean with white vinegar only?
- Are there windows in the room that open easily for ventilation?
- Do you offer allergy-friendly rooms with hypoallergenic bedding?
- Are towels and linens unscented? Would your staff be willing to eliminate dryer sheets for bedding in our room?
- Are there plug-ins on the property? Are there fragrance-free rooms available?
- Is there a history of flooding or water damage?
- Has the property been sprayed for pesticides recently? How about individual rooms?
- Do you have any rooms with brand-new carpeting? How recently have the carpets been cleaned?
Two hotel chains that might be particularly favorable to this list are Hyatt and Fairmont, according to this New York Times article.
My chemically-sensitive daughter traveled to New Mexico recently and requested unscented bedding, and the hotel left out the dryer sheets. They also cleaned with white vinegar. With some ventilation and a diffuser, she did great! Keep in mind, you’re the customer—and you never know until you ask!
For more suggestions on low-toxic travel, see the website Green Vacation Hub.
Interested in practical packing tips? Check out the momsAWARE article, 10 Ways to Use a Plastic Shower Cap.
- 46Let's face it. Plastic is convenient. Especially when it comes to the packaging and storage of food. But research suggests that chemicals in combination with food or water can be hazardous to our health. We're even creating our fossils with our heavy use of plastics - called plastiglomerate! (Read more…
- 39Trying to use fewer chemicals in your home? Are you frustrated with the higher prices of healthier options? Switching to natural cleaning and personal care products need not be expensive. Consider adding these five products to your regimen and enjoy the savings. Five Natural Cleaning Products 1. Vinegar White vinegar…