One of the outcomes of a toxic mold exposure is vigilance when selecting a home or traveling. One family all too familiar with the hazards of water damage used their recent travel experience to educate State Park officials by submitting the following letter.
Dear State Parks Office: We have enjoyed XXX State Park for nearly 25 years and planned a trip with overnight lodging in the cabins for July 29 to August 2, 2013. We were assigned Cabin 20 and found a disconnected PVC pipe under the kitchen sink. The pipe appeared to have been leaking a long time and caused a mold problem.
We have extensive experience with toxic indoor molds. These toxic indoor molds are not healthy for people with routine exposures such as the housecleaning crews and the maintenance crews. If a team is assigned to clean mold, it is best to use personal protective equipment and to have to train.
Photos of the kitchen sink in Cabin 20 are below:
The park office personnel pleasantly took care of our complaint about Cabin 20 and allowed us to look at Cabin 40. Cabin 40, also, had water damage in the bathroom sink cabinet and on the vaulted ceiling beam. We decided it was best not to stay in the cabins, and the park office personnel were nice in refunding the payment.
Photos of Cabin 40 are inserted below:
We left the park and returned the following day, July 30. In the park office, we overheard a guest telling the park office personnel she had a leaky cabin toilet that appeared to have leaked for a long time. It may be necessary to inspect the cabins for water damage and to use extreme caution cleaning water-damaged areas. In my opinion, the housecleaning crews is exposed to health risks in Cabins 20 and 40.
Thankfully, this family knew to avoid these accommodations—a fresh reminder to all of us to check for water damage when traveling.