If all goes well our family will head up to Mt. Lemmon this summer in search of fresh spring water. Mt. Lemmon is one of many spots around the world that boasts a gravity-fed spring – a source of raw, clean water.
Gravity-fed springs are found throughout the world. Locations include:
- Ittman, West Virginia
- Durango, Colorado
- Benton California
- Quebec, Canada
- Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Yunnan, China
- Mustang, Nepal
The website Find a Spring offers a map listing a myriad of locations. The site makes no promise regarding safety, so be sure to see for yourself or have it tested if desired.
Why search for a gravity-fed spring water? Not only does it make a fun family adventure, it offers a rich opportunity to avoid the pitfalls of chemically treated water. For a look at chemicals in today’s public water supply see the post Water Quality.
We ventured to Mt. Lemmon’s gravity-fed spring last spring and found only a trickle of water. (see our Clean Water Adventure.) This year we will wait until monsoon season hits, when we are far more likely to fill our empty jugs. ( Our friends waited until July and enjoyed the gushing fresh water as pictured above.)
Have you adventured to a gravity-fed spring? Want to see if there is one near you? Check out the interactive search page here.
- 68From Flint, Michigan, to a recent Harvard University study, it's clear that all is not as it seems when it comes to our nation's public water supply. Harvard estimates that six million Americans are drinking unsafe levels of polyfluoroalkyl and perfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs). Gravity-fed spring water offers a pleasant alternative…
- 56Looking for reasons to cut out chemicals when you clean? Consider these points offered in the article Green Cleaning vs. Conventional Cleaning: • Manufacturers of conventional household cleaners are not required by law to disclose the noxious ingredients in their products. • Do not be fooled by the words "non-toxic"…
- 55"What's in my water?" After perusing our community's water quality report I am even more determined pay careful attention to proper water filtration. Below is our city's recent annual report. The Table of Contaminants alone covers three pages. Categories include: microbiological contaminants, radionuclides, lead and copper, inorganic contaminants, synthetic organic…
- 51Why not try drinking a little sunshine this summer? Did you know the sun offers natural water filtration properties? Solar water traditionally combines cobalt blue with sunlight in order to alter the structure of the water molecules. Cobalt blue glass comes in a variety of forms. These 32 ounce glass…
- 31Planning a vacation? Would you like to minimize your exposure to chemicals and/or mold while enjoying your hotel of choice? New construction, plug-ins, dryer sheets, new carpeting, and cleaning products all require the use of harsh chemicals. If you want to "go the extra mile" and call ahead to see…