Our family loves this homemade granola. Add it to a bowl of yogurt, use it as a cereal substitute or enjoy it by the handful.
This recipe has lots of room for variation. Adapt it to suit your dietary needs and taste preferences.
2 1/2 cups raw nuts, chopped (I use a combination of almonds and hazelnuts.)
1/2 cup pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds
3/4 cup coconut chips
2/3 cup almond flour or almond meal
2 tablespoons protein powder (optional)
1 tablespoon coconut manna (optional)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
raw honey, stevia or xylitol to taste (I use 1.5 tablespoons non-GMO xylitol.)
1/2 cup squash or pumpkin puree
1/4 cup almond butter
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of salt
1. Combine chopped nuts, seeds, coconut flakes, protein powder, almond flour, spices, salt and sweetener (if dry) in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine squash puree, almond butter, vanilla and sweetener (if liquid.) I use a food processor.
3. Combine the two bowls and stir until all dry ingredients are well coated.
4. Place on dehydrator sheets and dehydrate at 110 degrees until desired crunch is achieved. This takes at least six hours in my dehydrator. (Alternatively, you may use your oven at the lowest setting but may lose some of the nutrients due to heat.)
5. Serve and enjoy!
My favorite addition to this recipe is a nice portion of Tiger Nuts. These high fiber legumes add lots of flavor and fiber. Learn more about Tiger Nuts here.
- 52Enjoy this real food version of the popular Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! Skip the refined sugar and artificial ingredients and enjoy this natural Reese's Peanut Butter Cup alternative. I use almond butter for the filling, but for those who must avoid nuts, consider tahini (sesame seed butter) or sunflower butter.…
- 51Looking for a healthier alternative to the ever-popular Keebler Fudge Stripes? Why not try this real food, gluten-free cookie recipe! Sixteen-year-old Kaitlyn offers this real food version! Gluten-Free Cacao Stripes [mpprecipe-recipe:116] These Cacao Stripes closely resemble the popular Caramel deLites Girl Scout Cookies. Make your caramel sauce and sprinkle some toasted…
- 50These grain-free, gluten-free coconut flour biscuits go nicely with any meal. This recipe makes 4 large or 6 small biscuits. Feel free to double or even triple the recipe! Coconut Flour Biscuits Ingredients 1/3 cup coconut flour (higher altitudes may require more) 4 tablespoons melted butter or ghee (coconut oil…
- 49Looking for real food desserts your family will love? Try this Gluten-free Devil's Food Cake for any birthday or holiday treat! Consider adding a whipped cream frosting or this Dairy-free, Sugar-free Frosting. Wondering which sweetener to choose? See 5 Sweetener Alternatives. Gluten-free Devil's Food Cake
- 48Looking for a healthier alternative to your favorite Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookie? Try 14-year-old Brandon's version! Gluten-free Cookie Recipe Who doesn't love the texture and taste of Mrs. Fields? This gluten-free version uses almond meal (almond flour), and a sweetener of your choice. Almond meal and almond flour are…