It’s one of the simplest switches to make and can do wonders for your health!
The more I learn about wireless devices, the less I want them in my home. This includes cordless phones. The standard DECT (Digitally Enhanced Cordless Technology) phone utilizes a technology that utilizes a digital signal that is both powerful and clear.
It’s what you’ll readily find on store shelves. Look for 2.4 or 5.8 GHz when trying to identify a DECT phone. Manufacturers include Panasonic, GE, Motorola, AT&T, and V-Tech.
If you have concerns about WI-FI, you will want to have equal concern for DECT as they both operate with frequencies in the microwave and radio spectrum. In 2011 the World Health Organization (WHO) classified electromagnetic radiation as a possible 2B carcinogen. (The same category as lead, DDT, and styrene.)
Other wireless devices commonly found in the home include:
- Remote controls for opening gates
- Wireless security systems
- Wireless video cameras
- Wireless baby monitors
- Smart meters
DECT cordless phones continuously emit microwave radiation at full power as long as the base station is plugged into an electrical outlet. That means radiation is emitted 24 hours a day whether the phone is being used or sitting idle in its cradle.
The following video shows the contrast between a corded phone and an AT&T cordless DECT phone.
Interested in measuring the electromagnetic fields in your home or office? Consider the Cornet Electrosmog Meter used in the demonstration above. Find out more at Just So Natural Products.
The Health Effects of Cordless Phones
Dr. Magda Havas is one of the premier researchers on the adverse impact of DECT phones. In a petition calling on the Canadian government to ban DECT phones, Dr. Havas points to the growing evidence linking DECT phones with ill health. By superimposing her studies with others, Dr. Havas created the following graphic to show that, even from a distance of 3 meters, EEG brain waves are altered.
According to Dr. Havas,
“At 2.8 meters motor function, memory and attention of children are affected. At 1.7 meters, sleep is disturbed. How many people have DECT phones near their bed? At 30 cm memory is impaired and at closer distances the immune system is affected, REM sleep is reduced, insulin levels drop, and there are pathological changes in the blood brain barrier. Studies also show that there is 100% increase in adult leukemia between 45 and 130 cm from the phone and a similar increase in childhood leukemia between 35 and 260 cm.”
Thankfully, it’s easy to replace your DECT phone. Corded phones are readily available at electronics stores and online. If a portable home phone is your only option, consider the non-DECT 900 MHz analog phone that only emits radiation when in use.
Why not err on the side of caution and return to the old-fashioned corded phones. You may notice improvements in your sleep, concentration, and overall health!
*Note: AT&T has a policy named “2020” that states AT&T will phase out their landline telephones in 2020. If you’re interested in seeing this policy reversed sign the petition Keep Landline Telephones.
- 43No one disputes that human beings are bioelectric. Our hearts and brains are regulated by internal bioelectric signals as evidenced by the use of pacemakers and EEGs. What, then, is the relationship between sleep and technology? Every cell in the body has an electrical charge, and the function of the…
- 42Do you feel like you can't live without your cell phone? Are you wondering if mobile phones are actually safe? These five facts about cell phones may help you sort through the conflicting information and our culture's ever-increasing reliance on wireless technology. 5 Surprising Facts About Cell Phones 1. Cell…
- 40Is your mobile phone harming your dental health and perhaps your overall health? Is there a connection between cell phones, tooth decay, and salivary tumors? Cell Phones and Dental Health Cell phones may not be as innocent as initially hoped. Emerging scientific evidence suggests cell phones may trigger salivary tumors,…
- 38Scientists, physicians and educators have come together to urge pregnant women to limit their exposure to wireless radiation. The BabySafe Project is a joint initiative with the sole purpose of informing pregnant women of the risks associated with wireless technology. The statement signed by more than 70 scholars, physicians, cancer…