Are you concerned about chemicals in products? Looking for companies you can trust? You’ll love the vision of MADE SAFE!
The Timely Launch of MADE SAFE
In February 2016 a Missouri jury awarded the family of Jacqueline Fox $72 million after determining her death by ovarian cancer was linked to her daily use of Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower products.
The Johnson & Johnson lawsuit is likely the tip of the chemical iceberg as more becomes known about endocrine-disrupting chemicals and other ingredients commonly used in the personal care product industry.
The launch of MADE SAFE has come at the perfect time. Consumers are more aware than ever of the hazards of chemicals but unsure where to turn. MADE SAFE is America’s first comprehensive human health certification to cross consumer product categories. It is a nonprofit with the goal of making it possible for consumers to easily find safe products while also offering brands and retailers a road map to making and selling products that are made with safe ingredients.
The MADE SAFE seal means that products don’t contain known carcinogens, behavioral toxins, reproductive toxins, neurotoxins, hormone disruptors, heavy metals, pesticides, insecticides, flame retardants, toxic solvents, harmful VOCs, and more! It also means that each and every ingredient has been scrutinized to ensure that it doesn’t build up in the environment or our bodies and that it isn’t found to be generally toxic or even toxic to aquatic life. The MADE SAFE certification process looks like this:
These companies have earned MADE SAFE certification for products
- Annmarie Gianni Skin Care – organic and wildcrafted skincare products
- True Nature Botanicals – cleansers, mists, face oils, lip care
- S.W. Basics of Brooklyn – cleansers, scrubs, toners, makeup removers
- Healthy Hoohoo – natural feminine care
- Rejuva Minerals – natural foundation and bronzers
- Good Clean Love – natural intimacy products, personal lubricants, oils
- Sustain – natural condoms, lubricants, wipes
- Alaffia – skincare, body care, hair care, baskets, scarves, fair-trade accessories
- Pura – plastic-free baby bottles, water bottles, water bottle accessories
- Naturepedic – mattresses, mattress toppers, pillows, sheets
- Just So – soaps, lip balm, face cream
As the owner of Just So Natural Products, I am thrilled to partner with these companies. My goal has always been to offer you peace of mind as you shop. Now I can back that up with this certification.
The natural product movement is gaining momentum as more companies like Johnson & Johnson are forced to reevaluate their ingredients. MADE SAFE is a huge step forward as together we seek to care for ourselves and our children safely.
Hear more about the vision and passion of MADE SAFE founder and executive director Amy Ziff in this episode of The Connecting Place. You’ll even hear how her mom disregarded conventional medicine and helped Amy recover from a debilitating illness at the age of 9.
- 30Altering our lifestyle to integrate non-toxic products has been a slow process. It took at least a year to incorporate fragrance-free and chemical-free items into all areas of life, including laundry, kitchen, and personal hygiene. It's been trial-and-error with grooming products. When our reactivity was at its height, I found…
Emily @ Recipes to Nourish says
I didn’t know about all of these! Thanks for sharing about them. I love Alaffia products. Thanks so much for sharing this at Savoring Saturdays linky party!
Heidi Viars says
This is so helpful! THANKS!!!!
Carol Steiner says
Andrea, how did you solve the problem of deoderants?
Andrea Fabry says
I ended up making my own. Here is a recipe and one that I sell.
Deodorants I sell: http://justso.co/?s=deodorant&post_type=product