DIY Magnesium Balm is a simple and effective way to add magnesium to your daily health regimen. Transdermal magnesium bypasses the digestive tract, making the nutrient more bioavailable without the danger of overdoing it. (See The Health Benefits of Transdermal Magnesium.)
DIY Magnesium Balm requires magnesium oil, which is simply a combination of magnesium flakes and filtered water.
Make your magnesium oil ahead of time by pouring 3.5 ounces hot water over 4 ounces magnesium chloride flakes. (Find magnesium flakes here.)
You will have extra magnesium oil to dilute and put into a spray bottle or add to bath water.
DIY Magnesium Balm
You can adapt this recipe to suit your preferences. I love avocado oil, but coconut oil, moringa oil, and/or jojoba oil would work well. Castor oil would be great, too. Mango butter or cacao butter can be used in place of shea butter.
- 1/4 cup magnesium oil
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 3-5 drops leucidal liquid radish root (A natural preservative found here.)
- 5-10 drops essential oil of choice (lavender and/or Roman chamomile work well)
- Set aside magnesium oil.
- Melt avocado oil, shea butter, and beeswax in double boiler.
- Transfer to food processor.
- Blend oils and slowly stream in the magnesium oil.
- Add essential oils and leucidal liquid radish root and blend again.
- Pour into glass containers. Makes enough for approximately three 2-ounce jars.
Not ready to make your own? Just So Natural Products sells Magnesium Balm in unique VioLiv glass jars. Find it here.
- 72Magnesium is one of our most critical cellular nutrients, and yet most of us need more. Transdermal magnesium is one of the best ways to add it! According to renowned neurosurgeon Dr. Normal Shealy, M.D., Ph.D., magnesium facilitates nutrient absorption and stabilizes cell membranes. "Magnesium is the most critical mineral…
- 55It's easier than you think to create your natural products. Here are five suggestions for transforming one bar of castile soap into something useful around your home! Castile is a plant-based all-natural version of synthetic soaps. Just So Natural Products offers an all-natural, chemical-free Coconut Castile soap. This recipe uses…
- 54Looking for nontoxic alternatives to harsh chemicals? Trying to steer clear of bleach and other products that emit hazardous volatile organic compounds (VOCs)? You'll love the effectiveness and safety of pumice! Pumice for Cleaning Pumice is my go-to when it comes to household cleaning. I use it on tile and…
- 43Avoid harsh chemicals with these simple, yet effective, tablets. [mpprecipe-recipe:22] This is how my dishes respond to one tablet placed in the bottom of the dishwasher. Additional tips: It may some trial and error to find the right fit for your water and dishwasher. If your dishes are cloudy, try…