This simple cultured cranberry-orange chutney is an excellent way to add a fermented boost to your holiday or family gathering!
Cultured Cranberry-Orange Chutney
3 c. frozen or fresh cranberries
1-2 fresh oranges, peeled and de-seeded
1-2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2-4 tbsp. whole cane or other unrefined sugar (honey is also an option – it will ferment more quickly)
1/4 c. water kefir, whey, or kombucha for use as a starter
Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender. Pulse until desired consistency is reached. Pack into a mason jar. Tighten lid and store at room temperature for 1-2 days. An airlock helps protect the fermentation process. I like Masontops found here.
After the fermentation period, transfer to refrigerator and use within three weeks.
This recipe can be adapted to include any available fruit such as strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries. Consider adding finely chopped ginger and/or a pinch of ground cloves for extra flavor.
- 3 c. frozen or fresh cranberries
- 1-2 fresh oranges, peeled and de-seeded
- 1-2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2-4 tbsp. whole cane or other unrefined sugar
- 1/4 c. water kefir, whey, or kombucha for use as a starter
- Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender.
- Pulse until desired consistency is reached.
- Pack into mason jar.
- Tighten lid and store at room temperature for 1-2 days.
- After the fermentation period, transfer to refrigerator and use within 3 weeks.
Other holiday meal suggestions:
- Grain-free Sourdough Stuffing
- Egg-free, Grain-free Cookies (fun to decorate!)
- How to Make Bone Broth (use those bones from your holiday turkey!)
- Paleo Almond Flour Biscuits
- 54Who doesn't love the smell and taste of fresh bread straight from the oven? Enjoy this gluten-free, grain-free sourdough bread! This recipe uses a combination of quinoa and chickpea (garbanzo) flour. Kombucha is used to ferment the quinoa flour and create a sourdough starter. (See this recipe for brewing your…
- 50This gluten-free & grain-free sourdough stuffing recipe is ideal for family gatherings - especially for those with special dietary needs! Grain-free Sourdough Stuffing Recipe This recipe relies on our family's tried and true sourdough bread recipe using quinoa flour and a combination of almond meal and flax meal. Kombucha offers…
- 44These grain-free, gluten-free coconut flour biscuits go nicely with any meal. This recipe makes 4 large or 6 small biscuits. Feel free to double or even triple the recipe! Coconut Flour Biscuits Ingredients 1/3 cup coconut flour (higher altitudes may require more) 4 tablespoons melted butter or ghee (coconut oil…
- 44This gluten-free and grain-free sourdough pizza crust is sure to be a family favorite! Quinoa flour is fermented with kombucha (or other fermented liquid) and transformed into a delicious flatbread or pizza crust! While almond flour or other grain-free flour makes a nice pizza crust, this quinoa flour combination makes…
A mason jar does not normally contain an air lock. The written description can be misleading, it had me confused till I saw the photo. Now I wonder what they are called so I can search for one to buy. I’m in the UK.
Andrea Fabry says
They are called Mason tops and are available here. https://www.masontops.com/
Deborah Gatz says
Andrea, I bought so many cranberries to make this for Christmas but didn’t get a chance to until very recently. Would this stand up well to freezing? Thanks.
Andrea Fabry says
It should be fine to freeze, Deb!
Deborah Gatz says
Thank you. It looks pretty.